Sound as Medicine
Medicine is something that heals us. Something that we take to restore balance. Healing is not the same as curing, although the two are related. To cure is to eliminate evidence of disease: to heal is to become whole.
KunYin Medicine offers sound as a healing modality: a way of taking deep timeout to explore & release into your interior spaces and let the sound work its way through you. In this way, it invites you to come to know yourself more fully- by witnessing your mind, your inner state in places of deep relaxation. What comes up for you? What are your blocks to letting go? What is the inner world showing you in these deep states?
Sound is potent. It has the potential to annoy us, wreck a good night’s sleep, and create a visceral reaction from us. Just think of fingernails on chalkboards, or late night noisy traffic. But sound also has the power to calm us, soothe us and lull us into altered states.
The Ancients knew this. In Kundalini Yoga we work with sound in the form of gong and mantra to have an effect on the bodymind. This kind of ‘sound’ is known as naad. Working with sacred sound as a means of connection to the Ground of Being is known as Naad Yoga.
Naad means the ‘essence of all sound’. The naad is the substance or ground of being from which all sound arises. By sound, we mean words, music, and any sonic vibration. The naad is the parent, the great ancestor of all sound.
“The gong is very simple. It is an inter-vibratory system. It is the sound of Creativity itself. The gong is nothing more, nothing less. One who plays the gong plays the universe. The gong is not an ordinary thing to play. Out of it came all music, all sounds, and all words.” Yogi Bhajan
KunYin Medicine offers sound as ‘medicine’ in these ways:
- Public sound immersion sessions, or sound ‘baths’
- Private sound sessions- in my home or your chosen venue
- Corporate or work-based sessions
- Mantra & sacred sound sessions, using Kundalini mantra & chanting
For weekly public sound sessions- click here to Sunday Gong Space
For other public sound events- click here
To explore booking a private sound session, click here
KunYin Medicine can offer a variety of sound tools- including:
- Chiron gong: archetype of the Wounded Healer; a vibration that helps find a way through blocks; a maverick healing energy
- Earth ‘Year’ gong: aligns us with our mission here on Earth; grounding, nurturing. The vibration of our home planet
- A small choir of crystal bowls: a potent, crystalline resonance that carries us deep into the Inner World, & penetrates the different layers of consciousness, as symbolised by the chakras
- Shamanic Drum: the drum is the carrier; the container that transports us to the Other world so we can begin our journey into sacred space
- Wind Chimes: the chimes are usually offered as a ‘support act’ to a sound therapy session as they provide a sweet, sparkling energy that soothes the mind & helps us to switch off
- Indian Flute: a powerful, ethereal, haunting sound like an eagle on the wing. A great carrier into the Beyond that can complement other sound work.
“Sound Healing is based on the understanding that every organ of the body, and every individual, has a unique signature frequency…when we are in ‘sound health’, the human body is like an incredible orchestra playing the symphony of the Self…”
(excerpt from ‘What Doctors Don’t Tell You’ magazine June 2019)
“There’s no organ system in the body that is not affected by sound, music and vibration. You can look at disease as a form of disharmony.”